Friday, January 11, 2008

Prayer

In its simplest meaning, prayer is the act of talking to G-d. Jews pray three times daily (Shacharit - morning prayers, Minchah - afternoon prayers, and Maariv - evening prayers) as a remembrance of the thrice-daily sacrifices at the Beit HaMikdash [Holy Temple]. Women are not commanded to pray three times daily since they are excused from time-bound mitzvot [commandments]; however, women should pray at least once a day.

Jewish prayer is overwhelmingly communal. Some prayers cannot be said without a minyan (10 adult males according to Orthodox and 10 adult males and/or females according to non-Orthodox). Hebrew is the mother tongue of the Jews and it is this language that Jews use in their prayers. Of course, if one does not know Hebrew, one can pray in one's own native tongue.

I have found that since returning to the mitzvot I am talking to G-d much more often during the day. I have prayed at least once daily for as long as I can remember but the prayers were never really heart-felt. As I find myself praying more often, I also find myself less stressed and more at peace with the world and my fellow man. I feel that we were put on earth, in part, to praise G-d and prayer fulfills part of this mission. May we all find solace in prayer and may we all praise G-d in our daily lives.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home