Thursday, January 17, 2008

Emet ve-Emmunah Part I

I finished re-reading Emet ve-Emmunah: Statement of Principles of Conservative Judaism and I thought I would share my own thoughts and beliefs on what was presented in this booklet. Part I will cover the section title "G-d in the World".

G-d
Conservative Judaism affirms a belief in a single, indivisible G-d. G-d permeates every part of our Jewish lives even if we have doubts and uncertainties about Him.

I completely agree that G-d is One - indivisible, which is a major reason why I left Christianity. I never really understood the idea of three-in-one as an explanation for the trinity. G-d does indeed permeate every part of my life (whether I am really conscious of it or not). The more open I am to mitzvot and the more I study the texts, the more G-d permeates my life.

Revelation
Conservative Judaism affirms a belief in revelation - an "external source of truth emanating from G-d [... emphasizing] that although truth are transmitted by humans, they are not a human invention". The single greatest revelation took place at Har Sinai [Mount Sinai] and continues through the prophets and today with the various Codes and Responsa.

Within Conservative Judaism there are varying beliefs about the revelation at Har Sinai. Some believe that the Aseret Hadiberot [Ten Commandments] were transmitted and the remaining portions of the Torah were written latter by various individuals (documentary hypothesis). Others believe that the Torah was written entirely by Moshe [Moses] as it was revealed to him beginning at Har Sinai. Many others fall in between these two ends of the spectrum. Personally, I believe that the entire Torah was written by Moshe and that the Oral Torah (Mishnah) was also given to Moshe.

Halakhah
Halachah [Jewish law] "consists of the norms taught by the Jewish tradition, how one is to live as a Jew." Halachah is understood as G-d's Will for Jews and our way to encounter G-d. It is a means of preserving the Jewish people and our traditions. Since each generation must revisit halachah due to changing issues and mores, Conservative Judaism believes in tradition with change with regards to halachah.

I firmly believe that halachah is completely binding upon all Jews. Halachah was given through Torah (Written and Oral) and was later expounded upon by the great Sages and written down in the Talmud and various Responsa. I agree that each generation has a need to re-visit halachah due to changes in the world (such as automobiles, electricity, genetic research, and cloning) but halachah should never be changed. Reinterpretation of halachah is acceptable and although the Conservative movement places emphasis on backing up decisions with halachah, I think there are some decisions that are anti-halachah (or at least on the verge of being anti-halachah).

The Problem of Evil
Quite simply put, evil is a result of the misuse of the free will given to us from G-d.

I agree with this and I also think that G-d allows evil in the world for His own reasons that mankind will never understand.

Eschatology
Conservative Judaism affirms that there will be a messianic age and mankind, in conjunction with G-d, can help in the process of tikun olam [repair the world]. There is also a belief (by some) in bodily resurection and and eternal soul. Some Conservative Jews believe that there will be a messianic age but not necessarily a Moshiach [Messiah] while other believe in both. Some Conservative Jews believe that the Beit HaMikdash [Holy Temple] will be rebuilt and sacrifices will be re-instituted while others believe in neither of these scenarios or only the rebulding of the Beit HaMikdash. Conservative Judaism preaches a gradual, evolutionary process to bring about the messianic age.

I believe that there will be a messianic age that will be ushered in with the arrival of the Moshiach (as understood by Judaism and not Christianity or Islam) and everyone will be physically resurrected. I believe the Beit Hamikdash will be rebuilt but I am still on the fence about my belief in the sacrifices being brought back into practice. Mankind has a role in this world to help repair the world and bring about this age of peace. I believe in a combination of the revolutionary process and the evolutionary process of bringing about the messianic age. I believe that some changes will necessarily be slow (i.e. aliyah [moving to Israel] and bringing Jews back to halachah) but other changes must be forced (i.e. reclaiming Har Habayit [Temple Mount] and beginning the rebuilding of the Beit HaMikdash).

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home