Monday, January 21, 2008

Emet ve-Emmunah Part III

In Part III of my discussion of Emet ve-Emmunah: Statement of Principles of Conservative Judaism, I will cover the section titled "Living a Life of Torah". (Part I may be found here and Part II may be found here.)

On Women
Conservative Judaism affirms the equality of men and women. The emphasis on Jewish education for males as well as females has set the non-Orthodox world apart from (at least most) of the Orthodox world. Most Conservative synagogues are fully egalitarian - women and men sit together and women are involved in every part of synagogue life. Bat Mitzvah celebrations and baby-naming ceremonies for girls have become hallmarks of the Conservative Movement.

A major reason why I continue to be a Conservative Jew is the absolute equality of men and women. I believe that men and women are equal but not the same; however, I do not believe this means that women are banned from certain areas of mitzvot. I enjoy taking part in the "male" mitzvot and I find they bring me closer to G-d. I also understand that not all women want to take on the mitzvot (such as tzitzit or tefillin) and I applaud them for taking a stand that they feel is right for them.

The Jewish Home
Conservative Judaism affirms that the home is the central place for Judaism. A Jewish home should be recognizable as such - from the mezuzzah on the doorpost to the Shabbat table to the paintings on the walls. The Jewish home should flow with the rhythm of the Jewish calendar and halachah. Jewish learning should take place and Jewish prayer should be heard. The family should also place emphasis on Jewish values and mores.

I affirm that the Jewish home is the central place of the Jewish faith. As a single, non-parent, I tend to utilize the synagogue as my central place in Judaism but for married and/or adults with children, the home must be made into a Jewish space. I live in a non-Jewish home (I take care of my aging parents) so the Jewish space in the home is confined to my area. I have bookshelves from floor to ceiling stocked with Jewish books - fiction and non-fiction and I have Jewish ritual items as well as an Israeli flag displayed in my part of the house. I also study and daven [pray] and simply talk to G-d in my area. I have made the best of the situation and will try to bring more "Jewishness" into my home.

Tefillah (Prayer)
Conservative Judaism teaches that keva [time for prayer] and kavvanah [feeling of prayer] are both important. It is important for Jews to pray everyday - even if we cannot always pray with a minyan [quorum of ten adult Jews] or at the exact times for prayer. We should pray with concentration and in Hebrew (although the vernacular is acceptable). Prayer is a time of reflection, petition, and praise that should be used throughout out lives.

Prayer for me is a very private thing - but there is nothing like praying with tens (if not hundreds) of fellow Jews. I attempt to pray at least twice a day. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule I am unable to pray Shachrit [morning prayers] on a consistent basis. I pray as much as possible in Hebrew but I often find myself praying in English because my Hebrew is not very strong. The kavvanah felt during my prayer can be very intense. I can be in a room full of Jews and feel like the only connection is between me and G-d. That is a very special place and time and I hope to have that connection every time I pray. I am also working on the brachot [blessings] that permeate Jewish life.

Talmud Torah (Jewish Study)
Conservative Judaism teaches that each Jew is commanded to be a ben or bat Torah [son or daughter of Torah] and learning is a lifelong process. Parents are commanded to teach Torah to their children and this early teaching must form a basis for lifelong learning. The Conservative Movement believes that the traditional study of Jewish texts can be enhanced by the study of history, archaeology, sociology, and other areas of secular study. The Conservative Movement places emphasis on leading adults toward greater Jewish learning and also keeping post-bar/bat mitzvah teens attached to Jewish learning.

I fell in love with the emphasis on lifelong learning that makes up a great deal of Judaism. I love to learn just for learning sake in all kinds of studies. As a convert, I obviously have more to learn that someone who grew up with even the most perfunctory Jewish education. However, I have not let this deter me or upset me. I study something Jewish every day (right now I am attempting to study Torah and Talmud everyday). Learning is a lifelong process and definitely one that I am ready, willing, and able to follow.

The Ideal Conservative Jew
"Three characteristics make the ideal Conservative Jew. First, he or she is a willing Jew. ... The second mark of the ideal Conservative Jew is that he or she is a learning Jew. ... Finally, the ideal Conservative Jew is a striving Jew."

The USCJ has put out an updated version of this idea on its website. I have printed this version out as a reminder of what I am striving for within the Conservative Movement. I am a Jew with these three characteristics. I hope to continue - and surpass - these minimal characteristics. One day, I hope to become a Talmidah Chachmah [Torah Scholar].

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home