Sunday, February 3, 2008

Where do I fit?

I have been reading about the founders of Conservative Judaism and their belief systems. I have also been thinking about three of the rulings given by the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards and the Jewish Theological Seminary as well as the stand on the revelation of the Written and Oral Torahs (plus one other thing that annoys me which I will discuss). I have come to some conclusions and I am now wondering where I stand in the Conservative Movement.

Driving to synagogue on Shabbat
The ruling as it stands (from the 1950's) is that in order to maintain a community and help individuals/families stay connected with Judaism, a Conservative Jew may drive to synagogue and then back home on Shabbat. It is important to note that driving is only permitted between home and synagogue and nowhere else.

I understand the reasoning behind this ruling. This ruling came at a time when many synagogues were moving out of crowded cities and into the suburban neighborhoods. In my heart and in my soul, I know this is an incorrect ruling. It breaks the laws of shabbat and it encourages Jews to live in scattered locations far from the synagogue. Personally, I have driven on shabbat simply because I cannot afford to live any closer to the synagogue. I hate driving on shabbat and I do not go to synagogue because I hate driving (not to mention it is an outright sin). I am not passing judgment on those who drive but for me, it is not something I am comfortable doing. The Masorti Movement ("Conservative Judaism" outside the U.S. and Canada) forbids driving on shabbat. So, for this ruling, I side with the Masorti Movement.

Ordination for gay men and lesbians
In 2007, the Jewish Theological Seminary decided that it was halachically permissible to begin ordaining gay men and lesbians as rabbis. Part and parcel to this argument is that homosexuality is not entirely forbidden (and rulings against lesbian behavior are "only rabbinic rulings") and these future rabbis should be permitted to be ordained.

I personally have no problem with someone being a gay man or lesbian. However, I do believe that the Torah and rabbinic rulings do state that homosexual activity is a sin and cannot be tolerated. I agree that being a gay man or a lesbian is not a sin, but certain activities that may occur are sins. How can we have someone be a rabbi who openly sins? In some sense, I am on the fence about this ordination issue. If a gay man or a lesbian is celibate during his/her training as well as the entire time he/she is an acting rabbi, then I have no reason to disapprove of his/her ordination. However, I do not see this as a viable alternative. The Masorti Movement has decided not to ordain gay men or lesbians at the Schechter Institute of Jewish Studies. Again, I am in agreement with the Masorti Movement.

Gay and lesbian "commitment ceremonies"
In 2007, the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards ruled that rabbis may chose to perform "commitment ceremonies" for gay men and lesbians. The belief is that if a couple is in a committed, monogamous relationship, they should be able to have a "commitment ceremony".

As I said above, homosexual activity is a sin. There is no getting around that according to halachah. "Commitment ceremonies" only lend credence to the reasoning that homosexual activities are not sins - thereby disagreeing with halachah. If a rabbi lends his/her hand to the breaking of halachah, I can no longer consider the person a "rabbi". The fact that the Conservative Movement touts itself as a movement that upholds halachah and then turns around only to break halachah is nothing but a proof of being a sanctemonious movement. The Masorti Movement does not permit its rabbis to be involved in "commitment ceremonies" so I again find myself in agreement with the Masorti Movement.

Revelation
Within Conservative Judaism there are varying beliefs about the revelation at Har Sinai [Mount Sinai]. Some believe that the Aseret Hadiberot [Ten Commandments] were transmitted and the remaining portions of the Torah were written latter by various individuals (documentary hypothesis). Others believe that the Torah was written entirely by Moshe [Moses] as it was revealed to him beginning at Har Sinai. Many others fall in between these two ends of the spectrum.

Personally, I believe that the entire Torah was written by Moshe and that the Oral Torah (Mishnah) was also given to Moshe. If the Torah is man-made (even if G-dly inspired) why would I choose to follow a man-made religion? I chose to follow G-d and His commandments - not the sages' commandments. I am committed to halachah which means I am committed to G-d's commands as they were given to Moshe Rabeinu [Moses our teacher] at Har Sinai and then passed down to the present-day rabbis. In this belief, I side neither with the Conservative Movement nor the Masorti Movement.

"Temple"
Many Conservative Congregations use the word "Temple" in their names. I find this very disturbing since it implies that the synagogue has replaced (permanently) the Temple in Jerusalem. I pray daily for the rebuilding of the Temple and I do not feel that it is correct for synagogues to procure that name for their own congregations.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dovid said...

Yasher koach on your post. I sympathize with you on the issue of driving on Shabbos. When I lived in California, I could not find a townhouse within a couple of miles of shul. I was torn between the choice of davening at home on Friday and Saturday vs. driving to shul in order to feel like a full participant. I sometimes gave in, and rode to shul on Friday nights.

Someone once told me that Hashem doesn't want us in the shul on Saturday if it means we have violated one of the laws of Shabbos in order to be there. While Shabbos is in itself an undeniable pleasure, it is more pleasing to Hashem if we both observe and guard its laws. Shabbos is our offering to Hashem rather than just a day for feeling connected to our fellow Jews.

February 16, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel-Esther said...

I have also given in an drove to shul on Shabbat. I know it is a sin and I do teshuvah when I do give in to the temptation. It is difficult since I live in an area with only one Conservative shul and no chavurot (that I am aware of anyway). It is a tough choice but I need to do what HaShem has said is correct.

February 20, 2008 at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home