Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Purim

Happy Purim!!

As a Yid By Choice, I find the story of Purim to be fascinating and a story for the converts. We as converts have joyfully thrown our lots (purim) in with the Jewish people. My rabbi asked me at least twice (while I was in the process of converting) if I fully understood that the Jews are a hated people and that I will too be hated just because I am a Jew. I was also asked this by the bet din [rabbinical court]. I affirmed that I understood this very serious issue and I have thought long and hard about it before I ever considered conversion.

We as Jews are commanded to thoroughly destroy Amalek and his descendants (physical and spiritual). Haman was a descendant of Amalek and he tried to destroy the Jewish people. Mordechai and Esther stood up to Haman and saved the Jews. As a convert, I have thought long and hard about what it means to be a part of the Jewish people and how that affects my outlook on life. I realize that I am now commanded to destroy Amalek and I see his descendants in many places - both near and far - trying to destroy my people. I take the command seriously and I pray to HaShem that we will triumph with His help over the evil Amalek.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home