Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Holidays in a "Christian Nation"

For those of us who are non-Christians, there are times during the year when it becomes very apparent that we are not part of the dominant people in the Christian-dominated nation. This is especially true around certain holidays. I do not care if people celebrate the Christian holidays and I understand that I live in a Christian-dominated society. I am part of a minority. In fact, I specifically chose to part of a minority. When someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter", I do not take offense. I just wish them a good holiday and go on with my life.

Now, these holidays can pose problems for me. As a convert, I am reminded every year that I am no longer allowed to participate in these Christian holiday celebrations (no matter how "secular" they have become) with my family, friends, or co-workers. Some of them have a difficult time understanding why I will not celebrate certain holidays because they are "secular". I usually just say that I am not interested and most of them will accept that reason. Others though are a little more "forceful" and I explain to them that my religious beliefs forbid me from participating in non-Jewish religious holidays no matter how secular the holidays appear.

Generally, this does not pose a problem for me at work but I do sometimes get upset that I must take off their religious holidays and I need to use vacation time to celebrate my own religious holidays. Again, I understand that until (G-d willing) I make aliyah [move to Israel], I live in a Christian-dominated society. I make due with the hand I have been dealt and the choice that I have made to place myself outside of the dominant society.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home